Monday 24 March 2014

Chicken and Chorizo Jambalaya

A simple, quick and simple 'one dish' wonder. This delicious Jambalaya will become a firm favourite amongst your friends and family. It's a dish inspired by a Cajun recipe, which I came across whilst searching the Internet for healthy chicken dishes whilst counting the calories, and with my lesser half constantly trying to eat clew even hi cheat meal has to be reasonably healthy.

This by no means is recipe you have to stick to, you can vary it and add whatever meat, fish or vegetables you want. Essentially, it's cooked the same way as a paella but you use long gain rice instead. How do you cook this delight I hear you scream, we'll scroll down and I shall share.

Cooking time is around 40 minutes
This recipe will serve 4 people comfortably.

Ingredients
350ml    Chicken stock
400g      Plum tomatoes
250g      Long grain rice
  75g      Chorizo
    3        Chicken breasts
    2        Garlic cloves crushed
    1        Red pepper
    1        Red onion
    1tbsp Olive oil
    1tbsp Cajun spice




Method
1. In the pan (make sure you use one with a lid) place the onion and peppers, cook until verging on soft.

2. Place the chicken and cook until golden.

3. Add the garlic, chorizo and Cajun seasoning and cook for around 5 minutes

4. Stir in the tomatoes and chicken stock. Pop the lid on and allow it to simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the rice is tender.



My advice when making this yummy and spicy jambalaya is do not use ASDA's quick cook long grain rice, as it takes forever to cook. Let me know if you varied the recipe and how your jambalaya turned out.

4 comments:

  1. This looks amazing. I tried this a while ago and forgot about it, so I'm definitely going to be remaking it now you have reminded me :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do try this recipe. Its so scrumptious and simple to make. Let me know how it goes! x

      Delete
  2. This looks so good and not too complicated! Yum x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is yum! Its a one pot wonder and super easy to make. I hope you try it! x

      Delete