Friday 7 February 2014

5 restaurants that are sure to make you love struck..

To avoid Valentines Day 2015 being a M&S ready meal for one, have a read of my top 5 restaurants (in no particular order) to splurge some pennies on your significant other... I know researching can be a pain so I thought I would do it for you, call me your blogging fairy god mother!

1. The Stockwell Arms, Colchester
The host of my recent date night come pay day treat. A medieval restaurant and real ale hall that boasts electric atmosphere and fine dining. Probably my favourite date night restaurant with a menu full of sharing platters making the occasion a little more special, like the 16oz Striploin or the Stockwell Sharer (this one is impressive as its served on a long medieval style banquet board). The food is sensational and accompanied by homemade treats such as walnut butter, honey mustard and barbeque sauce. Even serving a surprise amuse-bouche (a French term translated literally as a "mouth-amuser") in between courses. I will be honest, with alcohol it can be a little pricey, but you really get what you pay for and it's worth every penny for a special occasion. The quality of the food is sensational, the service is attentive and the renovated building its self is beautiful. I noticed that they are offering a Valentines Day menu of 4 courses (one is prosecco) for a bargain price of £35 per person or if you would like accompanying wines (aka a wine flight!) the price increases to £50 per person. Take a look at their Valentines sharing menu on their website and if your other half is super special splash out a little and take them to The Stockwell.

2. Olio Italian Restaurant, Chelmsford
I experienced Olio's for the first time last Sunday and it's safe to say I will be a returning customer. As my dining experience was part of a birthday party we sat in the downstairs restaurant, highly recommended to enhance the party atmosphere, but that is straying from the Valentines Day point! The upstairs restaurant is romantic, quaint and very Italian. The food was outstanding. Their menu varies from pastas to pizzas, with a wide selection of specials. My recommendation is the mixed fish platter and if you are not a fishy person the lamb shank. The authentic Italian restaurant is hosted by friendly and conscientious staff. On average with food and drink I recon you are looking at around £35 per person, very reasonable.

3. The Warehouse Grill, Colchester
Lover of steak - check. Enjoy a good burger - check. Love a good cocktail - check. Well this is your ideal place, with a website stating "surely the best burger in town", the warehouse grill never disappoints. With an impressive grill based menu of ribs, steaks and burgers its safe to say you won't leave hungry. When at a grill based restaurant it would be rude not to eat a rare steak with all the sides, my mouth is watering just thinking about it. The quality of the food and cocktails is superb and excellent value for money. The Warehouse Grill is also boasting a Valentines Menu online, a 4 course meal (one being a Mango and Passion fruit Bellini) for a moderate £37.50.

4. Il Padrino, Colchester
Literally translated as The Godfather so you know it's going to be good! Straight from the word go my advice is when booking to request a table downstairs, it alters the atmosphere of the restaurant completely. Downstairs (or the lower floor) is an old brick wine cellar and is perfect for the romantics amongst you. The authentic Italian food is to die for with a vast menu of pastas and meat dishes, with a specials board plucked out of every fish food lovers dream (if its on there go for the Spaghetti Lobster - its scrummy!). All food is seasonal, so the specials are constantly changing. There is a special Valentines Menu, a 3 course meal finishing off with tea or coffee for £39.95. So to sum it up its reasonably priced, delicious and romantic - spells a perfect Valentines night out to me!

5. Hudson & Hudson, Colchester
I have heard many great things about this new artisan kitchen and larder, especially constant appraisal of their Sunday roast. I have yet to dine in Hudson & Hudson, but have spent a few pennies buying peanut butter chocolate from their on-site larder. The service was brilliant, even wrapping up my goodies in brown paper packaging, making it a perfect gift for my lesser half. Their range of savoury snacks, cheeses, speciality teas, jams, sauces and chutney's is mouth wateringly magnificent. If the restaurant is as good as their larder, then they are on to a winner! They are even open for breakfast from 7:30am, can it get any better? I will be checking Hudson & Hudson out very soon so stay tuned for a review.

I hope my brief reviews have aided in you Valentines decisions and dilemmas. Go ahead book one now or it might be your last Valentines as a couple!! Stuck on choosing one? Well why not spread the love over a week and go to one every night, simples! If my lesser half is reading this, in my opinion, I think I deserve the latter!

No comments:

Post a Comment