Monday 10 February 2014

The food is good, I'm not kidding Yew!

After a recent visit to the Yew Tree, I decided to give it a cheeky review and run it past my 3 key points of dining out:

1. How much is it going to set me back?
2. Is the alcohol affordable?
3. What's on the menu?
 
My lesser half and myself ventured here after craving a Sunday Roast. The Yew Tree was a pub that holds fond memories from past family meals and I was hoping it wouldn't disappoint. The Yew Tree is a beautiful, picturesque, traditional pub in the village of Great Horkesley and is part of the Chef and Brewer chain.
 
I started my meal with a bubble & squeak which was delicious. The potato cake was well complimented with a free range egg and succulent hollandaise sauce. My lesser half had sticky beef noodles, which naturally I had to taste and must say it was pretty moreish. Was such a generous portion and would have done most people for a main meal!
 
Being a Sunday it would have been rude to order anything but one of the their roast dinners. The choice being gammon, rack of pork loin, topside of beef or Norfolk turkey breast. We both decided on the topside of beef with all the trimmings which was cooked to perfection. Being the fatty I am, I also added pigs in blankets and cauliflower cheese from their vast selection of scrummy sounding side dishes. My only criticism would be the roast potatoes, they were a little small and lacking in crispiness. Unfortunately we were both stuffed and couldn't manage a desert.
 
For those with children they also offer a great children's menu with starters, mains and deserts!
 
So in answer to my three points:
1. Very reasonably priced:
    - Starters ranging from £3.49 - £6.49
    - Mains ranging from £8.99 - £15.99 
    - Deserts ranging from £3.29 - £5.99
2. I was unfortunately the designated driver on this occasion so stuck to the diet coke however looking at the wine menu your averaging around £4.50 for a 175ml glass. They also over cask ales, ciders and soft drinks. I'd say they are all adequately priced.
3. I attempted to get your taste buds tingling with my review above but why not have a look on their website for the menu. As well as upcoming events and deals such as signing up to their online club and receiving a free starter or pudding. http://www.chefandbrewer.com/pub/yew-tree-great-horkesley-colchester/c1249/

No comments:

Post a Comment